Reginald Percy Instone

Born: June Quarter 1886
Died: August 1954
Occupation: Chief Supplies Officer J Lucas.
Married Violet E Carlisle
September Quarter 1913 ~ Aston

A mathematician and accountant and then chief buyer for J Lucas quiet, unassuming with a good sense of humour. He married Violet Carlisle living in Yardley in 1901 (Violets mother came from Weston-super-mare which interestingly was where Reg's daughter ended up settling. The Carlisle family were a well known family with history going back many hundreds of years traceable back to Robert the Bruce) and had 2 children Eric (emigrated to Australia but he didn’t like the Australian behavior which was very brash and for a T-total the drinking upset him so came home. Died aged 82) and Nina.

In 1901 aged 15 he was working as a Commercial Clerk whilst living with his parents at 23 Fernley Road Sparkhill.
From 1914 -1927 he and Violet lived at 579 Reddings Lane, Hall Green moving to 'Vernette' Birmingham Road (481 Warwick Rd), Solihull by 1928 and then in 1940 they moved up the road to 563 Warwick Rd ... what a lot of moving about!

He wasn’t allowed to soldier in WW1 because the government wanted the experience he had gained working with Lucas, so they set him up with a munitions factory in Digbeth where his mother Maude Mary worked for him (clerical). After the war he felt tremendous guilt seeing his brothers return from war injured with terrible tales to tell and so set Bernard up in business buying him the Digbeth premises (out of the large sum of money he had made during the war) for Langstone on an understanding that he would pay him back  so much a month. After a few years Bernard was running the business but he renegued on this gentlemans agreement which caused some  tension between them and also Alec who supported Reg. There is also a family story that Violet had a ring which had a  special stone in unbeknown to the Carlisle family and when Bernard took it to clean he swopped the stone for a cheaper one! Reginald became an alcoholic (drinking a bottle of whisky a day). Nina remembers trying  to hide the bottles of Scotch that he kept in the garage.

He had an exceptional brain but years of drinking took their toll not only physically (he had terrible stomach pains presumably cased by the Whisky) but mentally (he found he couldn’t do things as well as he could and his memory was becoming confused) so he finally committed suicide 2 days before Judiths 21st by hanging himself from a bed-head in Ashleigh Rd Solihull