Hales family tree. Born in Turnpike Road (Birmingham Road) in 1831 the daughter of Edward Hales a carpenter and Suzannah Davis a midwife. In 1861 5 separate families of Hales were still living there. They all lived a few doors away from the National School House whose minutes from the committee book for the period 1856 to 1893 record:
13/Oct/1857 at the parsonage At this meeting were Sir F E Scott, Mrs E Scott, Thos Lee, Robert Craves, and Rev J L Knight Mr Bagnall to se Mr Scott about gravelling the school grounds that Hales bill for the school Gate be paid £2.14; Mr Blades the former schoolmaster is paid £3. 10 s, for cleaning the schoolroom & lighting the fires? And two pounds for Mrs Blades superintending the Sewing, five shillings per quarter to be paid for lighting and cleaning the schoolrooms.
17/Aug/1885 at the vicarage present were Mr Page, Mr Jenny, Rev Clarke, a shed that might contain the chairs belonging to the school should be erected in the girls school playground against the wall Mr Chas Hales to undertake the work.
There is a likelihood that the Hales who made the school gate and who was comissioned to build the shed was Emmas brother Charles.
"Great Barr, three miles SE of Walsall, is a pleasant village, seated on the declivity of the lofty Barr Beacon, which stretches itself out to a considerable extent, and seems like a vast barrier to the country beyond it. The township and chapelry of Great Barr is now a separate ecclesiastical district, and contains 4960 acres and 1087 souls. It includes many scattered houses, and the hamlets of Hardwick, Margaret's Lane, Scott's Arms, Snail's Green, Little Aston and Questlett, extending eastward to the extensive heath of Sutton Coldfield. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor, but most of the soil belongs to other proprietors, the largest of whom is Sir Edward Dolman Scott, Bart, who resides at Barr Hall, formerly called Nether House. Red House, near Snail's Green, is a neat seat belonging to Robert Scott, Esq but occupied by Thomas Bagnall, Esq. On the north side of the chapelry is Aldridge Lodge, the seat of the Rev TB Adams, and near it is a small lake called Bourn Pool, an ancient moated house, and the Hayhead lime works, from which there is a branch to the Wyrley and Essington Canal "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
She married Thomas Instone at St Phillips, Birmingham in 1853 and had 8 children Elizabeth, Emma A, Alice M, Thomas, Alfred, Emily, Clara and Rosa. They had moved to the back of 7 Smith Street, Aston by 1871 and to 154 Cooksey Rd Small Heath where . Out of his 8 children Elizabeth died; Emma A and Alics M ended up as spinsters living together running a grocers shop in Ladywood, Thomas married Maude and had 7 boys; Alfred never left home and worked as a railway signalman; Emily died in November 1881 aged 15 from TB; Clara was a servant and Rosa married John Tredwell. So only 2 of her offspring gave her grandchildren. She died in 1898 from Chronic Meningitis suffering over an 18 month period (aged 66) at 5 Harris Road Aston, Birmingham with Thomas by her side.