Barbara Instone

Born 20 March 1904
Died 26 March1994, Maugesbury
Concert Pianist.

Married Bernard Instone 7 February 1922
St Agnes Church Mosley

Barbara was born in 1904 the eldest daughter of Thomas Margrett and Edith Seymour in Kings Norton, Worcestershire. She married Bernard Instone 7 February 1922 at St Agnes Church Mosley when he was 30 and she was just 18 having made her engagement ring himself and presented it to her when she was just 16 years old. They lived initially with his parents for 2 years at Adria Rd and then moved into 'Charlton' Blossomfield Road followed by 'Charlton' Widney Lane, Solihull with her 3 children, Paul, John and Judith. She and Bernard lived at Widney Lane until Bernards retirement in the early 1960's when they moved to Maugesbury Park House, Maugesbury, Stow-on-the-Wold Gloucestershire with their dog. She was a good hostess, her specialities being home made bread, minestrone soup and merringues and enjoyed entertaining the family, she was also an ardent supporter of organic food and vitamin suppliments putting her families health during WW2 down to 'Multivite' vitamin tablets.

Before her marriage she played the piano and accompanied by her sister Joan sang on the radio as the 'Margrett Sisters, unfortunately she gave up playing completely because her sons moaned whenever she sat down to give a rendition of Bach (although by this stage her hands were beginning to stiffen up as a forerunner of the arthritis that was to attack her hands in later life). She loved gardening, read extensively and was a shameless snob playing the 'lady of the manor' and refering to her gardener her outside staff!

After Bernard died she continued to live in Stow-on-the-Wold rattling around in a 4 bedroomed house which was always immaculate with polished wood floors and rugs in the hallway and an overwhelming smell of pears soap. She didn't have a tremendous amount of money and to make ends meet she released equity in the house, and then later started selling off jewelry her husband had made in order to make ends meet. She finally died of a stroke a week after a birthday party where all the family had been present, including her great-grand children of whom she was immensly proud. Her wish was that her body be donated to science but unfortunately at her age there wasn't much that anyone wanted so she was cremated, intact, at Wellesborne crematorium.